Sunday, April 3, 2016

Open Post #10: My Own Creation

What's your favorite snack? Is it because of the taste of the food alone? Does the packaging affect your feeling towards the snack? My favorite snack is a crunchy Cliff Bar in the flavor White Chocolate Macadamia Nut. Given this is my favorite snack, I eat a couple of bars a week and am therefore spending a lot of time opening the package and able to reflect on it. The thing that stands out always, and I mean ALWAYS, is how messy it is. The crunchiness of the every bite makes for a bed full of crumbs, something nobody can possibly enjoy. My love for this snack is strong, but it grows weaker every time I realize how messy and inconvenient the product is. I'm sure I'm not the only customer that hates how much of a hassle it is to eat this snack, so I thought I would redesign the packaging in hopes of helping the problem.
Here is the product's current packaging: It comes with two bars, one stacked on top of the other, in a regular looking, plastic film wrapping. The package is opened by an easy tear from either end of the bar.  


Here is the new package I created: The graphics on the package will remain primarily the same as the original. This is a corrugated fiberboard (cardboard) package that appears similar to the package above. However, once opened at the top, the package shrinks and expands to form a circular bowl. The bowl has stand-up features so it can stand up steadily on a surface. The bowl is for the consumer to eat over if a plate is not near. Once finished with the entire snack, the consumer can dump the crumbs from the bowl in the trash and recycle the package, avoiding all possible messes. If the consumer decides to save the second bar, he/she may dumb the crumbs into the trash, easily expand the package back to it's original shape and save the second half for later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment